Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Different Perspective on International Aid

Hello all,

A fellow rebelutionary shared the following with us on the subject of international aid.

I haven't researched enough yet to have a solid opinion or perspective on best practices for helping the needy. I am a proponent of microfinance, I work as a social media volunteer with a hunger relief organization, and I definitely want to help others in ways that are effective and lasting. At the same time, the vast needs and various solution proposals are almost overwhelming.

This morning in my international business class we watched the following video about some of the negative effects of the current foreign aid arrangement and some of the alternative approaches. I appreciated hearing the insights of a native African, Andrew Mwenda, a journalist from Uganda. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says here, but I did appreciate his humor and articulation skills. I particularly found salient his comments about the importance of shifting the focus from that of "reducing poverty" to "creating wealth." I think his views, shared in this "TED talk," are worth considering.



As stewards of resources that are not our own but God's, it's critically important we are wise in deciding how, where, and with whom we are allocating and sharing resources. Regardless of what your eventual stance is on the issue of international aid, I think we can all agree that we need to carefully consider our actions and look to God for His leadership on this important area of ministry.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment