Thursday, September 16, 2010

Counter Cultural - God Doesn't Get "Spiritual Highs"

Hello all,

Fellow Rebelutionary, Camden, has posted an excellent and thought provoking article on his blog Counter Cultural'. It's well worth reading.


God Doesn't Get "Spiritual Highs"

I had one of those memory days again. Meeting someone who was at Challenge at a college ministry fair today, I was reminded of that awesome week. While I know that this may not be applicable for all you, I pray that it will be -- think of the time where you were closest to God. The depth and nearness to God I'm talking about isn't easy to forget. Maybe it was at a youth conference, maybe it was kneeling at your bedside, but whenever that moment was, keep it in your mind.

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I was actually at the Challenge conference (a week long youth conference) four years ago when it came to Purdue University in Indiana. That week opened my twelve-year-old eyes to who God was and what He wanted to do in my life. However, while I felt connected to God in an amazing way that week, it was strange coming back to my normal church again. Suddenly everyone wasn't raising their hands in worship, and I felt weird if I raised mine. Life got back to the normal swing, and I had one of those "spiritual drops" you get often after a "spiritual high."

Coming back to the conference this year, I gave serious thought to how I could prevent myself from falling into another "spiritual low." Before mentioning my point, let me say that honestly, reading God's Word and prayer are the two best ways to maintain a fire for God. But amidst the situation, it was a single fact that really struck a chord with me. God is unchanging. As much as He was yesterday, He is today.

In other words, there's no difference between the God that I worship in a pulsating crowd of 5,000 passionate youth and the once a week church service I attend. God doesn't change, only my perception of God changes. As artist and speaker Eric Samuel Timm said, "What we call a 'spiritual high,' God calls 'normal.'" God always wants our hearts fully set on Him. It's both an invigorating and a highly challenging call. God is unchanging -- so should be our devotion to Him.

Camden


Thank you, Camden, for that encouragement! If you like Camden's post, please consider leaving him a comment (don't hesistate to comment here either!).

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment