Thursday, December 23, 2010

Counter Cultural: Don't Waste Your Christmas Break

Hey all,

Camden has posted a great challenge for this Christmas time on his blog, Counter Cultural. We have featured several of Camden's post in the past owing to the general excellence of his posts. This one is no exception. :-)

We'll let Camden take it from here:

Don't Waste Your Christmas Break

It's understandable that I haven't been posting on here due to the hard press of final projects and tests due for school. It's understandable that I had to take a break from things that are otherwise considered "good" to focus my mind and attention on my school subjects. And now it's understandable that since I'm done with the pressures of writing research papers and studying for tests, I should take a long and well deserved break to simply "chilax" over the holidays.

Or is it?

I've been wrestling with the question recently of how to use this grand time between semesters. Not just how to use it, but how to use it for God's glory. And as I've hit the beginning of this break, I've come to the discovery that living out free-time for God isn't always the easiest thing. In fact, it's hard. Using our time in a way that brings God glory in and through our lives is a challenge that each and every one of us has to face each and every day. It's so easy to spend hours wasting our time, but how do we really use our time in a way that glorifies God?

For me, the answer to that question today was writing out 100 verses on 100 notecards that I want to memorize over Christmas break (verses taken from Memverse's top 100 verses). Another piece of this is finalizing and submitting my research paper and essay for my online class. Part of my day in glorifying God is even in writing this post. Please note: God gives all of us different ways to glorify Him, whether it's memorizing verses, writing, or spending time with family and friends. The key is that God doesn't want us to waste our lives, or our Christmas Break.

One last thing. If you are a child of God, then God has given purpose to your life. If He's given purpose to your life, then that means that each day is meant as a piece of that purpose fulfillment. If each day is a piece of God's purpose for your life, then that means that He has a plan for you to use your life today for His purposes. You're alive today for a reason. Strive to use it for Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:31: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Camden


Many thanks to Camden for his challenge! A couple of the things my family is doing in order to not waste Christmas are caroling (as much as it may be out of style these days it is still immensely appreciated...especially by older people who remember when it was common practice) and helping with a community cookout for people in need of a hot meal.

It's not to late to help with something similar in your community!

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment